Monday, September 10, 2007

Smoking no more...

I haven't touched a cigarette for about 2 months now which is really a major accomplishment for me. A lot of people have told me that it would be difficult to get it out of your system. The stubborn person that I am, I always told myself that I am disciplined enough that when I know I want to quit, it would be easy to do. Well, I guess I should have listened to the more experienced ones. Yes, once you get hooked its not that easy to turn away from. :(

Bing, a friend of mine, told me that it takes 10 years after you quit smoking for your lungs to go back to its original form. TEN YEARS! YIKES! That's a long time so why not start now? Well, in my mind I was thinking, if it will take me that long, then, maybe I can quit later. But then again, I saw this article regarding the benefits of Quitting Smoking. It's great since it gives you what happens to your body almost immediately after quitting.

Things You May or May Not Know
Someone probably told you what happens when you quit smoking, but did you know that the benefits begin almost immediately?

20 minutes - Blood pressure and pulse rate return to normal.
8 hours - Nicotine and carbon monoxide levels in the blood are cut in half. Oxygen levels in the blood return to normal.
24 hours - Carbon monoxide is completely eliminated from the body. Lungs start to clear out the mucus and other debris of smoking.
48 hours - Nicotine is completely eliminated from the body. Your sense of taste and smell greatly improve.
72 hours - Breathing becomes easier. Energy levels increase. Bronchial tubes relax.
2-12 weeks - Circulation improves.
3-9 months - Lung function improves up to ten percent. Breathing problems (i.e. coughing and wheezing) are reduced.
1 year - Risk of heart attack falls by half.
10 years - Risk of lung cancer falls by half.
15 years - Risk of heart attack falls to the same level as someone who never smoked before.


Do I still crave for a stick? Of course I do! Especially when I'm out with friends who are smoking. When I feel that, I just take one full breathe and appreciate that I can actually breathe so much clearer and better. Then, I make myself choose between a cigarette or a nice full breathe and lighter feeling.

No comments: